Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) is a term given to describe when a child displays a certain pattern of behaviours that includes losing their temper frequently, defying adults, being easily annoyed and deliberately annoying others.
• Argues with adults
• Refuses and defies
• Angry and defensive
• Spiteful and vindictive
Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA) is characterised by an extreme avoidance of everyday demands. The difference is that it is an anxiety-driven behavioural need to be in control.
• Refusing and giving excuses
• Distracting or changing the topic of conversation
• Negotiating or needing to have the last word
• Bombarding with repetitive questions or noises
• Panic-driven physical outbursts or meltdowns
In essence these children display a “counter-will“ against authority, especially when frustrated or stressed. They are often completely inflexible in these situations and the more pressure which is applied to make them conform the greater the opposition.
Areas to be addressed include:
• Demystifying the ODD and PDA message
• Discussion of the overlap with ADHD and ASC
• Supporting mood not behaviour, through effective communication and de-escalation techniques
• Dealing with a range of Difficult, Defiant, Demanding and Disruptive situations
Fintan was the headteacher of the Centre Academy from 1996 to 2002, which was the first specialist school in the UK for students between the ages of 7 and 19 specialising in issues related to ADHD, ASC, ODD and PDA.
He is an associate lecturer for Leicester University, Michigan University, the National Association of Special Needs, the Institute of Education, the Helen Arkell Dyslexia Charity and is a member of the council of CReSTeD and the Special Educational needs Consortium.
He has written a number of books and published articles and works as trainer and consultant both nationally and internationally with regards to supporting schools, children and families with SEND and behaviour issues.
@ Helen Arkell Dyslexia Centre
Starts 06/05/2022 13:30
to 06/05/2022 16:00
36 places available
Price £50 | 36 places available
Please click on the highlighted places on the calendar above to select your preferred training dates. You can view by list view if you prefer.